6.40 h to 16.20 h
N 52.23941 W 06.31457
Behind Greenore Point
What a pitch black sky behind my left shoulder al morning! As if the world will breaqk down every moment…but not a single rain drop was reaching me, and no thunder was to be heard until after hours the sky lightened u slowly. The wind turned to strong due west all day, I stayed close to the beach all day even on outgoing tide, feeling I paddled fast enough in the more or less calm lee instead of maybe finding some nice current with me, but fighting and pushing into the wind all day. And, paddling close to shore is simply more pleasant, “boring” long beach or interesting rocks! “It is just so little longer, but so much nicer!” Just wondered why the higher the cliffs got, the less wind shelter I got, but rather had the blow right into my face…
I actually saw more and more holiday beach life, today was one of the sunnier and pleasantly “warm” days close to 20 degrees. The water seemed also bearable without wetsuit, but because of the strong wind, I was still happy in my dry suit, well wrapped to the head.
Nearing Wexford Bay and Raven Point, the beach became more wild and really lovely to watch, reminding me to some spots in Brazil. The crossing of Wexford Lough provided a slalom through dry and wet sand bars, the latter splashing funny in the strong wind. No real standing waves here, not much current when I was crossing. I climbed out on sand banks wherever I could to have a look for the nicest path. Wish I was due to camp on Raven’s Spit! Some pole marked a few rocks close to a bank, a favorite play spot of a seal colony. I found a bunch of fat stranded jelly fish, weighting maybe six pound each or more. Some birds were picking on them, but I doubt they found much nutrition on those jelly bodies.
Once across to Rosslaire Point, I paddled along lovely sandy dunes and many holiday makers straight across the bay to Rosslaire Europort, with one huge ferry boat arriving into the quay about an hour before me. I was not really sure how quickly they unload and load the new batch of cars and tourists, but was praying that monster would not make a move unless I was crossed and safe. Thank goodness it stayed in…Wind was still strong, here nicely pushing, and I planned to go around Greenore Point, and to stop just before Carnsore Point.
Greenore Point on lower tide displayed many nice rocks to negotiate between, but once turned in, the wind blew so uninviting strong into my face I decided to call it already a day and to postpone those last 7 km to the other point to Saturday. Friday’ forecast was strong south-westerlies, nothing to hide once on the south coast. Saturday would be still headwind, but under 10 knots, and Sunday will be dead calm! I think with the low headwind I can reach at least Baginbun Head on Saturday. Tide is not really ideal, but should do. On Sunday, I conveniently paddle the last leg across those two sall bays on calm weather to finish at the small beach where I started, close to Mick O’Meara’s house. Thanks for keeping my car! I hope you’ll be home??? Anyone likes to join me on Sunday?
I got geocached this night…I was already deep asleep at 10 pm, as to be expected after a hard day’s work out, when Dave Cottier thought he urgently needed to find me this night before I may be gone again…though I was posting I will have the whole Friday off. Thank goodness for him I was not due to get up at 4 or 5 am again next day…and was ok for a chat and happy about his goodies he brought to my camp like strawberries, sandwiches, chocolate, an Irish newspaper…thanks! If you don’t like unexpected late night’s visitors don’t post your position the same night…in South America I had done this with one or two days delay on purpose for safety. Who knows who may be knocking at you tent door in darkness…