Thu 05/07-2018 Day 247

Pos: 54.9420,-162.8059
Loc: Sandy Cove
Acc: Hilleberg Keron 4 tent
Dist: 37,1 km
Start: 08:05 End: 15:40

The little fox from yesterday was straying around our tent this night, I only heard him and hissed him away – it was clearly no bear…

We anticipated somehow today a little easier wind, at least according to the forecast Clyde sent us additionally – Karel was almost right on the spot. But it started the first 5 km with really nasty choppy whitecaps-strayed water, well over 15 knots north west. The first time it was blowing offshore – and funneling straight out of Cold Bay, reflecting the waves on Deer Island. This was really perfectly a nasty as it gets for crossing over to the mainland to Thin Point! Well, yesterday was perfect calm, so we needed a bit of change…

We ducked down, and despite we liked to go due west, we had to aim well to the north-west or rather north not to get blown out. After long hard work, we finally reached the calm shelter of the clay cliffs and wide rocky reef on low water of Thin Point. We thought we should land for lunch just around the corner – but had to cross another small reef bay before we could reach clean shore – still on the reef…

We spotted our familiar bear prints on the sand, the buggers are everywhere…but no one disturbed our lunch. Well, besides we should LEAVE at some point before we wouldn’t be able to even drag our kayaks over the shallow reef! It was one more hour with dropping tide…we just made it with walking and the kayaks in tow over the shallows, and enjoyed for a while some following winds – wherever they suddenly came from!

With the tide change, things blew strong right into our face again, and we better hugged the shore until Sandy Cove was lurking for landing 5 km short of our planned sand spit. Tomorrow is another day! We landed through low surf, almost surfing into each others kayak…yes, one after the other is better to land, even on easy surf!

We found a sheltered spot in the dunes to camp, no sign of bears here or at the small river…it doesn’t mean there aren’t any…all print may be blown by the wind…

Tomorrow we will reach False Pass! Not sure yet if we like to get up early to make it in with the right current until slack at 1 pm, or wait until slack at 6.09 pm – or if we’ll try to make it against the current in the eddy…