Tue 05/03-2019 Day 342

Pos: 27.1491,-114.3745
Loc: Isla San Roque
Acc: Hilleberg Keron 4 tent
Dist: 14,9 km
Start: 7:15 End: 10:30

We woke early at 5 am by the sound of a landing boat. Two guys went out yesterday around 5 pm for a night fishing session and came back now. When we launched, Fernando also set out to sea for fishing. A nice farewell!

Our plan was to paddle only those mere 15 km to Isla San Roque, as this one was supposed to be a pretty nature reserve. The next safe landing from San Pablo was Punta Prieta, and this was 60 km away. We did not feel to be up to this distance (yet), and a city landing in Bahia Asuncion was also not to our like. Sure it was not a given to be allowed to camp on this nature reserve, but we are in Mexico!

We decided to paddle from the other side half around the island to have already a bit of a shore view. Many seals littered the rocks and points on the sheltered side. We spotted a person at the lighthouse tower and knew we had better ask before we camp here. We paddled to the official landing with two boats, one moored offshore, one as a taxi nutshell to get to the larger one. A large sign showed “nature reserve” and what to see on this island and what NOT to do, but there was no “no access” or even “no camping” sign. We walked up to the lighthouse with all the bad conscious of a good German law follower, not sure if we have access here at all.

Two Mexican guys were busy around the small lighthouse. Antonio, the ranger and his friend Rigo were on duty for three days on – three days off to keep on eye on the lash nature and wildlife here on this island. We greeted each other friendly, I passed on my card, and they invited us in for a drink and chat inside the 3 x 3 m square double-story lighthouse. Some nice Spanglish-body-language small talk and ranger Antiono allowed us to camp on the island and to walk around. This was really a “special-guest” permit! There are no tourists at all here coming to the island. It is pure nature for many birds species, mainly seagulls, pelicans, vultures, some birds of preys, ravens, cormorants and what not, plus some hundreds of seals. We did our best not to disturb any nesting pelicans on our walk, or to shy away the seals from the beaches. The first was easy to avoid, the latter so shy one could barely have a look around a corner and the seals already slide into the water. We also saw our first sea turtle from the water. Nice!

But first, we had to do some hull inspection of our kayaks with fixing once more a bunch of holes. Our babies are getting used! One of my sandals also lost its bottom, and I glued it back to position.

When we came back from our walk, Antonio came down to our tent site for a chat, while Rigo was out fishing. We shared our dinner, and it was again amazing how Fylkir spoke more and more “Spanglish” himself! My clever man, he is learning fast!

Tomorrow will be a dead calm day, and we plan to paddle to Punta Prieta at a fast pace, PFD’s and jackets off, music on and *power paddling*! I love those different days, the changes in pace are what keeps our trip so interesting!