The way home

Now as we were done for this section, it was a pleasure to get off the beach, to sign into a small hostel, and to shower us the same evening, and all our gear the next day. w did laundry, washed our kayaks and tents, and rinsed about everything under the shower. We were asking the hostel owner if they needed extra water money as water is as everywhere here in Baja short, but they were ok. Thanks! The drying in the sunshine went as quick as it could. I oiled my tent zippers and tent pole ends, as otherwise very sure they would be stuck next year.

We got a visit from two local policemen, sent by Victor to our assistance via the office of tourism of Mexico. Thanks for that! But our hostel owner already agreed to store my kayaks and gear, and as we didn’t wanted o offend them, we politely rejected their storing and transporting help. But unfortunately, it turned out that the space the hostel owner envisioned was much too small for the kayaks, so we got back in touch with the police, and the hostel owner agreed to drive us with kayaks and gear to Punta Prieta on Thursday morning.

The kayaks got loaded on Rafaello’s truck, stuck out way too long over the rear end, but tied up securely. Thanks for driving us to Punta Prieta! I volunteered as usual to ride on the open back of the truck to keep a good eye on my babies and gear bags. It was quite a fast and long ride, and I finally jumped off the truck bed quite stiff. But my babies made it safe!

Rigoberto, the local policeman, smiled when he saw us back, but offered a storage place at some house about 10 km down the road. It turned out to be kind of a mixture of a junk yard and a second hand vehicle sale place, but amazingly well organized and clean. But my kayaks were neither for sale nor trash!!!

No, they thought of providing a storage space inside an unused huge 14t truck trailer, safe, out of the sun and dry and under a roof. Quite an unique place for my kayaks for the next 2,5 months! The boys helping us storing the kayaks inside the truck trailer got big eyes when they discovered my own picture on the many stickers on my kayak, and they finally got it what kind of famous “racing horses” they were about to take care of…The owner, Francisco López, was the Delegado Municipal of Punta Prieta, goof friend with Rigoberto, the policeman, and I thanked him for his friendly help. All good, sleep well, my babies, and Merry X-mas! 🙂

Policeman Rigoberto loaded our gear bags and ourselves now on his police car truck, and we drove back to the truck stop aka bus station, to wait for the bus while having some good food. The bus going into the other direction had a long stop at the same place, so we sat there, enjoying good home cooked food while waiting for our direction bus. But that bastard didn’t think of stopping here! Thank goodness, Rigoberto saw it passing by, shouted we had to leave NOW, and we had to leave our half-eaten delicious food on the table with many sorry and jumped into the police car to chase the disappearing bus!

Rigoberto did what policemen do when chasing a vehicle, accelerated to the max, and used flashlight and horn to stop the probably very surprised bus driver…LOL! A few miles down the road after the “official” bus stop, we could conveniently enter the bus a few minutes later. That’s Latin America! THANKS to all our helpers!

The bus turned out to be a very modern long-distance coach with only eight people in there. Nothing what we envisioned, like an overloaded with people, strapped to the top with household items and chicken cages rumbling overland half-falling apart vehicle…LOL! This was a VERY luxurious and convenient way to travel! Ok, maybe 600 pesos is not what everyone would like to afford for the dsiatnce Punta Prieta-Ensenada.

We enjoyed the very soft, nicely reclining seats, and were watching the impressive landscape passing by while I preferred to listen to some spheric music from my phone instead to the noisy film running on many monitors, te only nasty downside of this comfortable ride. They should hand out head sets like in a plane :-). Many sheer beautiful valleys littered with impressive rock formations and 3-4 m high cactus plants were passing by before we reached some agricultural area with obvious water resources and after Rosario, the landscape became more and more villages and cities.

Victor couldn’t pick us himself today, but sent Julián, a kayaking friend with great English and German language (his girl friend is from Flensburg in Germany, very close to my home town in Husum!) knowledge to drive us out to Victor’s house in La Bufadora where we already stayed before two nights. We stopped at the nice “Restaurant La Bufadora”, which was dead empty at 6 pm, as it had really been heavily raining the last day! The first rain since I reached this continent in October! as it goes with rain in mostly dry countries, many deep puddles blocked street traffic and the houses were all not really set for heavy rain but leaking everywhere through the roof. But the food was delicious, we had a Margharita and tequila each, and a lot of good fun talking.Thanks for driving and joining us, Julián!

Victor will pick us up today, drive us to San Diego where we will stay at Jen Kleck’s house again, and I’ll take a plane on Saturday morning back home to my lovingly waiting arms of my partner Peter!

Thanks once more to my paddling partners of this section, Jaime Sharp and Lisa Eick, and to all of our local friends and helpers who made logistics a lot easier for us.

I’ll be back paddling south in mid-February until mid-April. Who likes to join me n that section???