Tue 08/11-2022 Day 744

Pos: 11.7956,-86.5182
Loc: sea bridge Masachapa
Acc: Hilleberg Allak tent
Dist: 54,9 km
Start: 6:30 End: 16:55

Greg is so kind to drive me early at five, still in darkness, to to small harbor. Bur first, we have to pick up the Nvy guys to get in there, as it is a locked area. They are ready again to escort me with a small boat with five young men. I do not mind, as long as they stay far behind me. Thanks for the effort.
My gear and many food fits all in the kayak, and I would have had space for three more water bags. Still, it is a heavy tanker. I load more food then usual, as I do not like to shop by myself so often, and I love my specialities to feed me in the heat. I eat twice a day now my special grain mix with powdered milk and raisins, which always swallows well. I do not cook in the evening, like on the last southern section. I have no appetite for pasta or rice.
I am ready on the water, and the last thing I usually do is to add some wax to my paddle shaft for a better grip with my fingerless kayak gloves. I was sure I packed my surf wax piece, but what I pulled out of the cockpit bags was a very similar looking piece of solid shampoo, LOL! It is the first time I bought such a soap bar for my hair, so iwas not aware of this new piece of kit and mistook it for my surf wax.
But what for is my host Greg a surf camp owner – he is so kind to quickly drive back to the house and find me a small piece. Thanks!
I carefully paddle out of the calm harbor on the open ocean swell, and need to regain my sea legs. It does not take long feel comfortable again, especially when I passed the outer uncharted reefs of the next point. Soon I drop my PFD, and get into my rhythm. My muscle memory does the job.
I pass a large, very dead turtle, looking quite yucky. Another large alive one is more pleasant, as well as the mating turtle couple. Some pelicans, one large jumping fish, that was it with the wildlife of today.
As I have to stay far out with te surf break, it is not too much of an exciting first day’s paddle. At eleven o’clock, I feel ready for some music, and realize soon I can easily reach Masachapa and not only tha corner with the Grand Pacifica Resort after thirty five kilometers. I would be at the resort already at one o’clock, way too early, and just int the rising high tide. Not sure how the landing behind one of those hooks would be, from a distance, all looks like breaking surf and not inviting to get closer.
I push on, but for the first time in my career, I experience cramps in my large back muscle while paddling. I can stretch it out, but the cramps come occasionally back. I reach on my bow as far forward as I can, and can live with it. I need to drink more of my Magnesium vitamin pills.
My body hurts on suc long distance on the first day, but what is it worth, I still can do it.
Masachapa comes in sight, the boat arking corner is protected by some outer breaking reefs. Before, a longer calm-loking remote beach without people tempts me to land, but I have set my mind on Masachapa…if I only would have dared to land there and have my peace at night! I pass the old sea bride where I see a spot where I could land and camp, but it is busy with some people. But when I come close to the city boat landing, it looks so packed that I better turn around and camp at the sea bridge spot.
I set up for a mellow surf landing, but have to signal my Navy escort boat out of the way. Come on guys, I ave to watch the waves! I make it over the larger brake, but get straight surfed with sixteen kilometers per hour in on the last mellow wave so I ave to lay flat on my backdeck, steering with my rudder to the last second on running up to the flat sand. Thank goodness I can avoid the few swimmers and body surfers and land safely.
Two Navy guys from land run up to my assistance toget the heavy boat out of the surge zone, thanks very much! I find a place for my tent near the bridge, near some people camping in hammocks under the bridge all night. They are friendly neighbors.
Mor nasty is the continuous loud music from different surces which last until eleven. It is a torture for me, as well as a group of happy youngsters standing so close to my tent discussing my matter. The ladies dare to call endless to me and almost tstick their heads into my half-open tent which I barely hear through my earplugs. Get lost, I need my rest and privacy, and am not to entertain your curiosity! After a long stressful hour, I shine my strong flashlight out of my tent and ask them to keep their distance. It works somehow, but it takes a long while for them to leave my tent fully. Finally, close before midnight, all is quiet and I can catch some quality sleep. I should have dared to land on that remote beach!