Loc: Isla Hornos
Acc: Navy Station
Dist: 0 km
A rainy and VERY windy day, 60-80 knots, in a safe and warm and dry house…I have slept as well as last night, not having to worry about the dangers of Isla Deceit any more. Great recovery for body and soul and stomach! I’ve got the small crew room with two bunk beds for myself, and the only danger there is to fall off the top bed…
The view just goes down to the south coast of Isla Hornos, and on to the world famous Albatros monument. Nice and strange feeling at the same time, to be at the “end of the world”… I can see the waves down there at the bay before the “real” Cape Horn…well, what you think you can see from the top of the cliffs through a window.
I checked again the forecast – tomorrow, Tuesday, is still fine to circumnavigate Isla Hornos and the “real” Cape Horn, but I don’t know what time I can start yet. The wind is early morning about 18-20 knots south west, then turning west, decreasing during the day to nothing. But this may change again when I’ll check tomorrow early morning…
To have an early start, I may paddle better anti-clockwise, which is a bit longer than clockwise, where I could leave out the paddle along the northern coast of Isa Hornos. Going anti-clockwise, I have shelter until the north west point of Isla Hornos, and get a bit of help from the wind along the south coast, with decreasing winds and related sea state.
Going clockwise, I’d have around 20 knots south west wind in my face around the eastern cape the, which may be not good for an early start and the south coast in general.
Any way, I’ll continue after the circumnavigation of Isla Hornos going north again, through the shelter of the islands on the east side, in probably no wind all day. I’ll be aiming for the Cabo Ross Navy Station on Isla Wollaston, but just in case I won’t make it for whatever reason, Paula supplied me with a bit more food so I don’t have to worry for a while. Thanks, Paula! And thank you and your family for all your hospitality! There are enough bays on the east side of Isla Herschel or Isla Wollaston, to make a safe landing. I even spotted a few refugee huts here and there.
The following days after tomorrow’s good fore cast for the 30 km crossing to Isla Navarino change continuously as well – I simply can not give any prognostic now which day may be possible to cross.
I know that the Chilean Navy will send a boat again from Puerto Williams to escort me across – thanks a lot for that honorable service! I really appreciate it a bit better – well, now, after I experienced myself what is possible here… 🙂
In marginal conditions, the huge Navy boat may even give me a bit of a lee from the dangerous west wind…but in the worst case, I simply have to wait a few more days before I can cross.
Once having reached the east coast of Isla Navarino, I’m safe in the lee of the island and of Fjordland in general. How I’m looking forward to be there…
You may have noticed I was not able to upload all my pictures in Puerto Williams due to crabby slow satellite internet, there are still lots of days without illustration from Rio Grande to Puerto Williams. I’m hoping to have a good internet connection in Ushuaia. There is satellite internet here on Isla Hornos, but restricted to the Navy’s needs, no face book, no private e-mail…but I can go on windguru and read, but not edit my website.
Thank you all for the encouraging comments on my website! Reading all the nice notes, I know I am not alone on this world…and my daily writing is just not blown in the wind…maybe it is helping and motivating one or another kayaker in this world. Your comments are motivating ME a lot! Keep on writing – I’ll do the same…! 🙂