Loc: Punta Dungeness
Dist: 0 km
I think I lost my chance to cross this morning, believing the headwind would kick in hard and early…I could have started at 4.30 am, getting flushed over with the outgoing tide at 5.40 am in less than 5 hours…the wind really kicked in only at 9 or 10 am or so…shit! I’d already been on the other side by then…I hate myself for not having done it. Excuses…it was raining at night, the sky was dark in the morning anyway…
Instead I was hanging out another day on another beach, sleeping, reading, making walks, I can’t say this way of making progress is satisfying for me.
Yesterday, two of the friendly oil working guys I asked yesterday for the Prefectura came over for pictures and signature, one of them spoke a reasonable English, which was nice. Later another two came after their night’s successful fishing, but sorry no English at all….
A red sailboat was anchoring just out from my beach last night after I wrote my update! I tried to call them via radio, but got only the Prefectura on the other end…today they were sailing up and down with the motor, anchoring again…strange…
My next visit I got on my campsite was today at 1 am!!! I heard, fully or better light asleep, someone walking around my tent in the gravel, then a light shone on my tent – “Hello!” “Yes?” – “Prefectura! Are you ok? Do you need anything?”
Oh, no, thank you very much, nice to look after me, but I’m fully ok and need nothing…but yes, thank you, I’d need my beauty sleep…usually, unexpected visits at 1 am in the morning are not really my favorite…
The Prefectura guys came again at 10 am this morning, and asked the same thing…I’m still ok, and still don’t need anything, thanks very much!
I walked south to the Chilean lighthouse, but was too shy to get close and to talk to anyone there….but I took nice pictures.
The penguins were too shy to be closely watches as well, so I rather stayed far away instead of frightening them…I’d love to be sitting petrified among them and taking pics and watching…but getting there would chase them all away.
I was happy to refill a bit of water with the oil guys, kept on reading and checking the weather fore cast…maybe tomorrow very early morning before the strong north wind kicks in…at least this would be a north wind. High tide is at 6.30 am and would take me over fast on ebbing. The seas are supposed to raise over the day as well, but if I only make the crossing to that little boarder cape my landing at low tide should be ok…I hope. I’ll decide tomorrow morning to go or not.