Loc: Campsite Monte Léon
Dist: 0 km
I had to get up at 3 am, as the wind was picking up quite a bit, and though usually always securing my tent to the max, I rather go out and check before anything is breaking…
I added two more rocks to two pegs, and shoveled sand on all flaps, entering now from the zipper opening the door from the top.
Then I thought I’d better had a look at my baby, sitting on that rock ledge…I walked up, and the wind already had blown it on it’s side! I now could drag it one ledge down, as not the tide, but he wind was the problem and there was a bit more shelter.
Back to my tent, I could again put my earplugs in like I started to fall asleep yesterday with the still noisy horrible dumpers out here, right in front of my door…
I also noticed on my night’s walk that my first camp site on the highest sandy spot in front of the parking lot had been flooded, and on my second one I’d have got wet feet…so my moving to the third site was a right decision, though involving walking, getting wet from the spray and a lot of work before I was eventually more or less able to relax.
Plus, my original landing in front of the cliffs would have been a real trap – there the breakers were crashing right on the high cliff wall with a lot of power! But I knew that…at least…
My next worry this morning was to go today or not to go – where? To the next better sheltered beach? Forecast for today was headwinds around 15-18 knots, I may have been able to move a short distance to a better beach – but which one was the better one? Would it be raining again? And Friday – the forecast was set for that – HORRIBLE strong wind way over 30 knots!
I finished my update from the last two days, starting to type at 7 am, not able to eat breakfast yet. Just to let you know, those two write ups I just finished typing and sending at 9.30 am…this soaks always up quite some time and energy, from myself and from my battery!
The high tide this morning at 10 am, was not as violent coming up as the one last night, still very high, but the dumpers were a tad bit lower. I stayed again dry on my spot!
I left my tent at 9.30 to have a look at my kayak, all still ok.
I climbed up to the parking lot to check the mud situation, and yes! A few rain free hours with good winds had dried the surface that much you could walk again, and even drive on the track!
I spotted the national park house in the distance as well, and I thought I simply walk there now and ask for help to move my tent. I already had decided this day would be a day off too, though maybe a marginal short paddle in the afternoon would have been possible. But again – where to? I rather liked to talk to the locals about best upcoming landing beaches, and stay the horrible Friday in safety of the camp site.
I had my sat phone and GPS with me, knew my tent and boat safe, and started to walk the track going in an U-shape to the house. It took me about 30 min, no problem! Though on the beach I’d be faster! But it was high tide…also I liked to check if a car would be able to drive all the way.
At the house, I found that it was not a national park house, but a professional national park camp site – good as well! I saw a car, and knew at least that there was some one busy! I knocked, and the surprised look of the lady having heard no car arriving was cleared up by telling my story. Luckily she was speaking perfect English!
I knew from David, my translator in Puerto Punta Quilla, the resident care taker was his friend and also spoke perfect English, as did his wife. I was just happy that they were there!
We talked about what to do best, regarding the upcoming weather. Her husband David (same name as the translator!) soon showed up as well, and we decided to take me off the beach with the car, and to move me and my gear to the camp site.I’d get local advise about the beaches, too!
And I got the most yummy home made cookies I have ever tried from David’s wife…thanks!
David drove me to my camp site, I took every thing down, shifted the gear the 200 m along the beach into his car, secured the kayak high up the parking lot to some poles that it would with stand a strong upcoming wind, and off we were!
I found a tent site around the house with a bit of wind shelter from a large bush and from the low hill behind it, and was hoping it will survive the Friday and it’s night…winds up to 35-45 knots were forecast! The strongest so far in this country…but if all goes bad, I could move into the bathroom or such…unfortunately they were having no rooms or huts to rent.
Thanks for taking care of me!