No paddling today despite reasonable wind…
Loc: behind Ponta dos Mangues Verdes
Some ugly diarrhea was making me even more weak than I already was, plus being mentally fully burnt out made me decide to take my long home break NOW. I will even have to paddle back tomorrow to reach a reasonable pick up city spot at Humberto de Campo…I will be back on the trip in a few months!
It was a horrible day, knowing the wind forecast was at the lowest. The reality turned out to be eventually not *that* low, but all is relative and this may be as good as it can get here. I felt really weak, pooping six times at night, and on Friday already maybe 4-5 times. I was eating normally, but everything went right through…I assume some glas of pesto tasted a bit strange which may have caused it. If it would have been from the antibiotics I am taking it may have come earlier already. But all together turnes the resistance down…
I was mostly in my tent this day, half asleep, half reading, barely out to walk around. One motorbike guy came past, and a lonely hiker with backpack and hiking pole, probably making his way from the last village to another. The motor biker needed to stop and honked noisily until I stuck my head out…curious guy…
At night I finalized my decision to stop the trip by calling my son and posting the first lines of this entry via sat phone. It was not an easy decision, and I was discussing it long with my partner Peter, but I really need a longer break NOW, despite the now good tide and still for a few weeks reasonable weather, and my still available visa time. But basically it is strong headwind at least all afternoon…I will be back! Strong and newly motivated!
How I´d love to paddle from here to Natal around this eastern windy corner in the other direction…but is that then still a proper ¨circumnavigation¨???